Chapter 2: “Painting For Change”
Call-out to Artists
“101 Deweguns… A Living Hearts Legacy”
In Chapter 1 we began this journey with “Prepping For Change”. This Indigenous–inspired Drum Art Initiative is now beginning Chapter 2 in calling out to all Indigenous and non-Indigenous artists across Canada from coast to coast to coast to express by way of a painted Dewegun what a positive ‘Next Sentence’ can look like in moving forward in Truth & Reconciliation…
…Creating together through the arts to help heal the traumaleft in the wake of the residential school system.
Contributing artists become an empowering beacon of hope; collectively inspiring others to stand strong in speaking their truth. Youth will be paired with artists by way of ‘Dressing’ all 101 Strykers.
Your artistic contribution will be chronicled in a book dedicated to this project, authored by renowned photographer Mark Zelinski.
Natural Walnut Drum Canvas
The “101 Deweguns” vision honours the legacy of Chanie Wenjack’s life journey, Gord Downie’s challenge to all Canadians to “Do Something”
in creating a ‘Next Sentence’ in building a better Canada, Phyllis Webstad’s early life experience and continued
journey through the ongoing ‘Orange Shirt’ campaign, along with countless other’s efforts in bringing the correct truth forward in an effort to foster open, healthy and reconciliatory dialogue.
Contributing artists through their positive hope – inspired Drum Paintings to become beacons of empowerment, collectively inspiring all Canadians to stand strong in bringing their truth into the light…as with any light, no matter the size casts out the darkness.
- Provide a brief written submission outline of the positive inspiration behind what you envision for the painting you would choose for a Drum (approx. 101 words).
- Provide a sample image of your artistic style, and link to your website and or social media channel.
- Provide your contact information;
a. Full mailing address
- Submission cutoff date is March 31st, 2023
- 101 artist s will be chosen by random selection.
- Successful artists will be notified on or before April 30th, 2023.
- Artist Honourariums to be provided.
- Chosen artists agree by way of a Memorandum of Understanding that the finished painted Deweguns, all related photos, and video clips are the property of the 101 Deweguns Initiative
Please send your submission to:
c/o 505 Lock Street, West
Dunnville, Ontario N1A 1V8
Selected youth will be paired with artists by way of ‘Dressing’ all 101 Strykers.
Chapter 3 Painted Deweguns will engage in a coast to coast to coast “Drumming For Change” event.
Chapter 4 Painted Deweguns will be showcased in a multi-year traveling art exhibit.
Special Note: 100 % of all 101 Deweguns revenue generated from the completed project will be allocated in support of likeminded organizations… such as those listed above.
The 101 Deweguns Project is being chronicled in a book dedicated to inspire
future generations, authored by renowned photographer Mark Zelinski.
Honourariums to be provided pending funding.
Thank you for helping us create an empowering